Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Farmer's Market Salad

Am I a morning person? Yes, or at least I've become one. I don't sleep in on Saturdays because I love the Downtown Des Moines Farmer's Market. The morning is such a pleasant time because it's fresh and cool outside. I love the community of a farmer's market and seeing what each vendor has to offer. Everyone is friendly and the dogs are so cute! I usually have a small grocery list in mind when I go but I have to be flexible according to what is in season. There have been plenty of greens lately so I grabbed a bag from Cleverly Farms. They are so pretty, I knew they could only be used in a salad!

Colossians 3:8-9
"But now you must also put away all the following: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and filthy language from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old self with its practices."
Here is more to put off...yay. It gets daunting to think about all the things I'm supposed to put off, but I have to remember that I can rely on the Holy Spirit. God's grace and forgiveness are endless so I'm not without hope. 
Before I can worry about my words though, I have to make sure my thoughts can't be described by these terms.


I was having some close-up camera issues. Sorry for the lack of focus here.

But, you can still see the beautiful colors of the lettuces. I love salad with color. I'm never impressed with a restaurant whose salads are simply romaine or even worse, iceberg only.  Blah. Dark greens = more nutrients!


I often try to whip up a good dressing to avoid the additives of store bought dressings but I'm not as successful as I'd like. I'm a big fan of this one! A simple, clean honey mustard dressing. 


Field greens, shredded carrot, and sugar snap peas and the salad is complete.
Quick and tasty. Served with salmon and fresh strawberries and peaches (also from the farmers market). I'll have to include the salmon recipe another time. It was new to me so I had to test it out first. I was happy with it.

Salad and Dressing:
lettuce(s) of choice 
one carrot shredded
one cup of sugar snap peas (ends removed)

3 Tablespoons natural dijon mustard (check ingredients)
2 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Mix dressing ingredients well in a bowl. May need to adjust measurements depending on how many you are serving. Taste as you go so you can adjust your ratios.
Celebrate your healthy eating choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment