Friday, June 13, 2014

Coffee Love 3 Ways - Pour Over

Coffee and I have a great relationship. We meet every morning, some afternoons, even catch an evening or two. I brew it with my Mr. Coffee auto-drip faithfully through the school year but now I have time to make it however I feel like. I will take three different entries to explain them. Thought about doing it all in one but not everyone would be glued to the screen I as I am when I see a coffee entry.


 I love having a quiet, sunny apartment in the mornings to read. I have my breakfast and then finish my coffee as I read. Today was 2 Chronicles 15 and 16. Asa is King of Judah in these chapters. He listened to the prophet Azariah and followed God and led his people to as well but tearing down idols and renovating the alter for the Lord. They committed to seek God with all their heart and mind. They had peace because of that choice. They enjoyed it for 35 years until Asa became proud and didn't depend on God in a time of war. 
I wonder if he became too comfortable with his peaceful nation and didn't see a need to depend on God. Then he was too proud to confess and repent which cost him his health and life just a few years later. 
I hate my own pride and how silly it is. It can be so difficult to own up to my mistakes and accept correction. Relationships would be much simpler and more peaceful if we were quick to show humility and forgiveness.

I'm picky about getting good coffee. I'm not talking about Starbucks or Caribou. Those have been roasted about a month before I get to buy them. I want the fresh stuff! Small batches. Local roasters. That's where the good stuff is!
There really aren't very many places in Des Moines to get it which is sad. I get mine from Corazon Coffee Roasters in Valley Junction. Scott is the owner and roaster. He does a great job and gets a good variety of organic, fair-trade, single origin beans. He is also great to chat with when you stop in his shop.




















Grinding coffee comes first. I buy whole bean for a couple of reasons. The coffee is always better if it comes from a fresh grind. I also grind it differently depending on how I'm going to brew it.
I'll start with the pour-over method. This process allows you to really taste the flavor of the bean. It needs to have a fine ground coffee. Not as fine as espresso but smaller than an auto drip grind. This is because the water will filter through fairly quickly and the finer the grounds are, the stronger the coffee will be. 


This is my Hario pour-over. Many people use the popular Chemex which is a great option. I was given this one and I love it. I put in about 3 tablespoons of coffee and slowly pour boiling water in a circular motion to wet all the grounds. The coffee passes though a cheesecloth and into the base of the Hario.

My beautifully coffee-stained Hario.

Love watching the crema and bubbles. 
I pour the water over 3-4 times. Just depends on how much coffee you are wanting to make. If I'm having a group of friends over, I don't go this route because this little guy only makes about 2 mugs. 
This is really a simple method once you learn it and gives you such a nice flavor from your coffee! I love a medium or medium/light roast. Ethiopian Sidamo is my top choice from Corazon. Scott had a wonderful Ecuadorian bean for a few weeks. I'll miss that one. 
Thanks for reading! If you want a taste, come on over sometime and I'll brew a pour-over for you:)




No comments:

Post a Comment