Sunday, August 17, 2014

Vegetable Galette

I love love love wandering around the Des Moines Downtown Farmer's Market. This past Saturday was great for it because it was misty and slightly cool which kept the crowd small! I went for veggies and maybe something unique that I couldn't resist. That unique item this week was pure maple syrup and a small jar of maple cream. The couple selling it was super smart to sample the maple cream and list ways to use it! It sold me. I could eat it by the spoonful. It's rich but not too sweet. They suggested using it on pancakes, waffles, toast, or even on salmon...might have to try that one. But today's recipe is for my vegetables and it's a great way to get a serving or two of veggies in your meal!



Since I moved closer to work this summer, I was also moving further away from my church. I have been visiting churches for almost two months and have heard many great sermons. The whole process is a bit tough though when there are many good things happening in multiple churches. I just keep praying for wisdom in choosing a church.
One message that was pretty convicting to me was from Mark 9 about having a proper attitude toward sin. There were so many good points I could take the whole blog to talk about it. I'll just highlight a few thoughts that struck me the most. 
-Down playing sin is essentially promoting it. When I don't take sin seriously, it creates a bit of freedom to go ahead and do it. 
-What I want most will always win. This is why God gave us the greatest commandment. If I love Him the most, by His grace the things I do will reflect that. 
-Our brains automatically want to repeat what we hear and see. I need to be more aware of how I am being influenced and how I am influencing others.


Bought these lovely heirloom tomatoes and eggplant just for this recipe. The bumps add some character to these guys but don't make slicing easier.
I didn't end up using the yellow one so I'm excited to find another use for him this week!


Even with all this slicing, I didn't slice my fingers! I watched chopped today and one of the contestants caught her finger on her mandolin. I cringed for her. It happens so stinkin' fast and then the pain sets in a few seconds later. Lucky for me, I have no time constraint so I can baby my damaged appendage but they just have to wrap it up and keep going.

I liked this galette a lot but it did need more seasoning. Eggplant and zucchini are not strongly flavored veggies on their own. I'll add a suggested seasoning addition in the recipe. Enjoy!

Recipe:

Crust recipe taken from - 

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus additional for rolling out dough.
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 teaspoon salt
(1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon thyme) - my suggested addition
3 tablespoons ice-cold water


In a food processor fit with an S-blade, add the flour, butter, and salt. Pulse together a few times to combine. Add the water, one tablespoon at a time, pulsing in between each addition. After the third tablespoon the dough should form. Remove from the food processor, gather in a ball, and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight. 

Filling-
1 small eggplant
1 medium tomato
1 small zucchini
1 Tablespoon dried basil
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon tomato paste

Pre-heat oven to 400° F. Slice vegetables about a quarter of an inch thick, sprinkle with salt and set eggplant and zucchini in a strainer so excess water can drip off.
Combine the olive oil, tomato paste, and spices. 
Once your crust is rolled out on parchment paper, spread 1/3 of the oil mixture over the crust. Next, layer the vegetables as desired, leaving a two inch edge to fold over once all vegetables are placed. Spread the remainder of the oil mixture over the vegetables. 

Other ingredients-
1 egg yolk
3 Tablespoons water
shredded cheese of choice

Fold the crust over the edge of the vegetables. Use one egg yolk and 3 Tablespoons of water to make an egg wash. Brush the egg wash around the crust to create a slightly harder edge and give it some color after baking.
Place your galette in the oven for about 30 min. Keep an eye on it and bake longer or shorter if you would like.
I topped mine with a bit of asiago cheese but feta is another good option.
Slice like pizza and serve! Edit the filling as your family likes!





No comments:

Post a Comment