Thursday, August 14, 2014

Beef with Broccoli

Chinese food is good stuff. I wish I could say I've been to China for something authentic but I have not. That is one place I've never really had a desire to visit. I'd go of course if the opportunity came and it was paid for;) Until that miraculous event happens, I'll just make and enjoy (american) Chinese. 
Sidenote - after making this, you will not be satisfied with any other beef with broccoli. This is the best I've ever had!

 
I've begun reading Isaiah. I've read parts of it before and remember some if the content of chapters 40-60ish. It will be good to review it all now and have a better knowledge of the whole book. 
Right now it's evident that Jerusalem and Judah are not following God with a sincere heart. They are offering sacrifices but not repenting of the evil in their lives. God offers to wash their sin so they will be "white as snow" but they don't choose repentance with one warning. God loves them and offers them (and us) the best path of life but they (we) are set in our sin  and blind to the benefits of living like He asks us. I pray that I will remember how much better it is to choose the path God designed over my seemingly enjoyable, selfish path.


The sauce and marinade are essential to this dish. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find one of the ingredients in the sauce. I have always been able to find them at Hy-Vee. I live by the biggest Hy-Vee and they didn't have Mirin. So sad...
So I improvised and used some rice vinegar and sesame oil.


I have to laugh after I brag about how great this meal is but then I had to sub a few things out. The other sub being the meat. I know, it's the main thing and I changed it. Again, Hy-Vee usually sells flank steak in a variety of sizes but I could only find it in packages of 1.5 lbs or more which puts the price at $15+. Not happening. I'm usually cooking for 2 not 6. So I went with skirt steak and got about .80 lbs. 


That is quinoa, which I love. Rice is the norm but it has fewer health benefits. 
I'll admit, the sauce keeps this from being truly "clean" but there's not that much of it so...let's call it healthy. 

Even with the substitutes, this is still super tasty!  Hopefully, I can find all the ingredients next time.

Recipe:

Source is a fellow Iowan!

3/4 pound flank steak, sliced very thin and against the grain
4 cups broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces
1-1/2 tablespoons high-heat cooking oil like vegetable or canola oil (coconut oil is best)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
cooked white rice (1/2 cup uncooked quinoa)


For the beef marinade:
1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon mirin (sub 1/2 teaspoon of both sesame oil and rice vinegar)
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch

For the sauce:
1/4 cup oyster sauce
2 teaspoons mirin (1 teas both sesame oil and rice vinegar)
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth

Directions:
  1. Place the sliced beef in a large ziplock bag. Stir together the marinade ingredients and pour into the bag. Smoosh to coat the beef in the mixture, then let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, steam the broccoli for 2 minutes, or until crisp tender. Do not overcook as the broccoli will cook a bit more later in the recipe.
  3. Stir together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
  4. Heat an electric wok, or very large skillet, to high heat. Add the oil then gently place the beef in the wok and spread into a single layer. Let the beef cook for 1 minute without touching it.
  5. Add the garlic and stir continuously for 1 minute, then add in the sauce and broccoli. Bring the sauce to a boil, then add in the cornstarch dissolved in water. Cook until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Serve over rice, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment