Friday, July 11, 2014

Chicken Salad

Chicken salad can be made so many different ways. As long as it has chicken and a greek yogurt or mayo dressing, you can call it chicken salad. Mine doesn't have all the standard ingredients but it's still recognizable as chicken salad. 


Chicken salad is a common, standard dish. One we know well. There are Bible stories that are well known and heard multiple times. Zacchaeus is one of those stories. I learned the song ages ago and know the actions. But today I realized that I have a incorrect view of the story. Let me explain. (read in a sarcastic/humorous tone)
In the song, Zacchaeus climbs a tree to see Jesus because he is short. Jesus comes over to him and tells him that he is going to Zacchaeus' house. Maybe it's only me, but when we did the actions at this part we shake a finger at Zacchaeus as if Jesus is scolding him. "Zacchaeus, you come down!" And then He invites himself over. (Not usually socially acceptable but its Jesus so social norms go out the window;)
Who wrote this song!? Did they even read the story? Where is the lesson in the song? Zacchaeus is transformed and his whole household is saved! Why is this not included!? And Jesus was not scolding him. He recognized Zacchaeus' desire to see him and takes the time to come to his house.
This is about a tax collector who comes to believe in Jesus and wants to give to those in need. It's an exciting story with a lame song. 
Now that I've complained extensively about the song, I guess I need to rewrite it. If only I was good with lyrics...
So that's as far as I've made it today. Ten verses and I got worked up about a children's song. I should keep reading.


Of all the foods, specifically veggies, I have grow-up to enjoy, celery is not one of them. I can tolerate it, but I'm pretty sure it's never been in my fridge. So for a green crunch, I added kale! It's a super-food and works well in this salad.


For a fruit, some people do apples, craisins, grapes and whatever else sounds good. Green grapes were on sale so I went with them. They add a nice sweetness!

It was a beautiful avocado!

For the dressing, I used plain greek yogurt, half an avocado, little fresh lemon juice, salt to taste and dijon mustard. I went a little heavy on the lemon juice but it was still edible, no worries.
No pics of the chicken, he was in the oven. I also added about a 1/2 cup of sliced almonds. 

You were expecting bread right? Well, I was in super healthy mode so I went with a cabbage bowl/wrap. I love bread but I wanted to try it like this. It was really good, and held together nicely!

Chicken Salad

1 chicken breast
chili powder
ground oregano 
paprika

approx. 2 cups torn kale
1 cup halved grapes
1/2 cup sliced almonds

1 6oz container plain greek yogurt
1-2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
1/2 avocado mashed
salt to taste

Season chicken on both sides with desired amount of spices. Sear both sides in a skillet and then finish baking in oven at 375° F for about 20 minutes. 
While the chicken is in the oven, chop or tear your kale and place in a bowl. Add halved grapes and almonds. You can add the dressing ingredients right into the salad bowl and mix together. 
Once the chicken is done and has set for a minute or two, shred and mix into other ingredients. 
Enjoy in a lettuce wrap, tortilla, bread or just as it is!





No comments:

Post a Comment