Sunday, July 19, 2015

Dark Chocolate, Almond Bites

Enjoying the summer temps this past week?! It's truly been a hot, humid week here in Iowa. I think I'm like most people in that I don't like extreme temperatures. I hate the you-can't-stop-shivering cold of February but I also don't like the feeling of sweat dripping down my back after simply walking to my car in July.
While I don't love the humidity, summer sunshine is the best! Long, long days are my favorite. There's sunshine from 6am-9pm with trailing light until 10. 


To beat the extreme heat and cold, I've been able to go indoor rock climbing at a gym about 10 minutes from my apartment. It's a fun sport for anyone to try! There is muscle strengthening, problem solving, and the chance to meet new people. The climbing community here is super friendly and helpful. People offer to belay freely and give climbing tips if they can. You can come with me sometime to check it out:) Or you can check out my recent climbing injuries on my Instagram account ellenccwalker.
Whatever activity you enjoy, these little energy almond bites are a great pre-workout snack!


I don't normally post on a Sunday but I had time this afternoon so I'll share a little from church.
I attend Johnston Evangelical Free Church and have been for about 10 months. It's the largest church I've ever been a part of with around 800 people each Sunday. Our pastor has been there for a year now and he's been wonderful. His passion and vision for the church is Biblical and contagious!

Biblical Stewardship has been the message series over the past 4-5 weeks. Today the focus was money, a potentially touchy topic. No one likes asking for money or being told how to use their money. It's usually a private topic. But God isn't quiet about it. The message was specifically speaking of giving to the church and its ministries. Second Corinthians 9 has some guidelines for our giving practices and verse 7 hits at our motives for doing so. "Each person should do as he has decided in his heart - not reluctantly or out of necessity, for God loves a cheerful giver."

I give because I know I should but not necessarily because it fills me with joy. As the offering bag thing (they keep calling it the offering plate, but plates don't have handles) comes by  I'm not singing "He has made me glad" (clap, clap). I need a little motive check when it comes to giving. It shouldn't be an afterthought or cause me to wince when I drop a check in. Don't worry, I won't start singing about the offering but I do want to be generous rather than giving out of obligation.


I'll admit, I've already had two of these today. They are so tasty and sweet! Also, crazy simple to make which is why you should try them out.
I love recipes like this where you can modify things to your own taste or what you have on hand. The original recipe is here but because I didn't have coconut, I used some dried cranberries. They are a little messy to assemble but I found that using two spoons to shape them, keeps your fingers clean and creates the perfect 2-3 bite sized treats. 



Dark Chocolate, Almond Bites
Makes 15-20 bites

1 1/2 cups of old fashioned oats
1/2 cup of ground flax seed
1 Tbs chia seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup almond butter (easily sub peanut butter)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 dark chocolate chips

1. Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. 
2. Use a cookie scoop or two spoons to shape 1-2'' balls and place on parchment paper.
3. Let sit in the refrigerator for an hour or so to set up and then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment