Monday, July 27, 2015

Blueberry Peach Galette


This past week flew by! It was definitely the quickest week so far this summer because I had Band Camp! No, I wasn't a student, I was the coordinator and one of the directors. 

I host a super fun summer band camp for my students and students from surrounding schools. We play movie music or other popular pieces that the kids get excited about learning. I love seeing them accomplish so much in just 5 days of rehearsal. My 5th graders stare at the music with confusion and fear the first day and by the time of the concert it has become familiar and playable.We have high school students come to help out and guide the younger students. They love coming to play along and help!
So, one evening after band camp, I made this beauty and typed up part of this post and then didn't find the time to finish it until today!

I love the recipe for the crust. It's super easy and quick, creates the perfect flaky texture, and I can fill it with sweet or savory treasures!


I'm still reading John but I don't have any significant applications to share. I know God's Word doesn't return void, I just think some days I see myself learning through life experiences more directly. That's why we read, to see God's word work through our daily lives to help us grow.
 God created us for relationship and interacting with others and I was able to spend some time with one of my students this weekend. We got to have some really good conversations and I learned more about her. She asked good questions about life and I got to see how she is growing spiritually and socially. I love those interactions. Ones where you know you are setting an example and where I'm encouraged to learn that a student loves God and wants to follow Him!


This galette is a wonderful summer dessert! It's refreshing and light; you can fill it with any fruit you like. If I had had ice cream at the time, I would have eaten them together. My galette wasn't super sweet because I only sprinkled sugar on but if you follow the recipe, it should be sweeter. You can also add a couple tablespoons of sugar to the crust if you want. 

Blueberry Peach Galette
Serves 4

Filling:
1-2 peaches sliced
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/4 cup sugar or honey
1 Tbs butter

Dough:
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick cold unsalted butter
1/4 cup ice cold water

1. Combine flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl. 
2. Cut the stick of cold butter into the flour with a knife or pastry cutter until the butter is in small pieces.
3. Pour in water and mix until dough forms a ball. Add a tiny bit more water as needed.
4. Chill dough while you prep the fruit and preheat the oven to 375° F.
5. When the fruit is cut, you have two options; stir in the sugar or drizzle with honey. Both will add a good sweetness but give different flavors.
6. Roll dough out into a circle about 1/4"-1/8" thick on parchment paper, use a sprinkle of flour to limit sticky-ness.
7. Arrange fruit as you like on the dough leaving at least an inch of uncovered dough at the edges to then fold over as the first picture shows. Cut the tablespoon of butter into small pieces and place/sprinkle them on the fruit.
8. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Keep an eye on it, looking for a light brown on the bottom edge.
9. Take out and let cool for several minutes. Slice with a pizza cutter and enjoy on its own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment