Monday, June 27, 2016

Blueberry Lemon Muffins

Summer. I love it. Not because school is out (but it's awesome to have built in vacation time), but because the days are long and the temps are high. While I don't love sweating, I do love not shivering and having to wear three layers everywhere. 
I also love the food of summer! Blueberries are in season and are probably my favorite fruit. Adding the lemon to these muffins makes them taste bright and summery. 



Every summer I have the same dilemma when I think of what to do with my time away from teaching. It's not something I feel I've mastered yet. I've been reading Andy Stanley's book "Ask It" with a friend from church and this last chapter challenged me with how I use my time. It came at the right time as I don't have anymore big trips planned for the summer, so I need to make the most of my day to day activities. 
Ephesians 5:15-16 "Pay careful attention, then, to how you walk - not as unwise people but as wise - making the most of the time, because the days are evil."

When I look at what matters the most in my life, the top three things are my spiritual walk, relationships, and my career. I want to invest in those areas and not waste my time on things that don't accumulate value over time. So, as I was thinking about these priorities, I realized that blogging, while a fun hobby, is not really benefitting those areas. Meaning, I'll only be posting when I feel the time allows and I have worthwhile food pictures to post:) What I should do with my love of food is invite you all over to eat the food and spend time with you face to face! So, who wants free food and conversation?!


I just counted and I've pinned over 20 recipes involving blueberries...too much? Nah. They're so tasty and pretty.


Blueberry Lemon Muffins
Makes 11-12 muffins. Bake time: 18-20 minutes.

  • ½ cup whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
  • ½ cup all purpose flour
  • 1 ½ cups rolled oats
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • zest of one lemon
  • juice from half a lemon
  • 1 Tbs baking powder
  • 3/4 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 Tbs light tasting oil
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup of blueberries, fresh is best

  1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
  2. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray or grease with butter.
  3. Combine all dry ingredients into a large bowl.
  4. In a separate bowl whisk together the lemon juice, milk, egg, oil and vanilla.
  5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until all of the ingredients are combined. If the batter seems too thick, add a couple tsp of milk. Then carefully fold in the blueberries.
  6. Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups.
  7. Bake for approximately 18-20 minutes until muffins have a golden edge and a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment